- #0061 BCECF (AM) 1mg...$72 Add to Cart
- #0062 BCECF (AM) 20 x 50 ug...$105 Add to Cart
- #0060 BCECF (Free Acid) 1mg..Discontinued
Knowledge of cytosolic pH (pHi) is essential in many cellular studies. The most popular indicator for studying pHi is BCECF (Figure 7.5). Its pKa of 6.98 is ideal because all cells have pHi near 7.0, with physiological changes of no more than a few tenths of a pH unit. BCECF has an excitation spectrum with a maximum at 507 nm and an isoexcitation point at 438 nm (at which the fluorescence emission is independent of pH). Intracellular pH can therefore be estimated by measuring the ratio of the fluorescence intensities at 500 and 450 nm. We offer BCECF in the form of cell-impermeable free acid and the cell-permeable acetoxymethyl esters. (See Table 7.3)
BCECF: (2',7' -bis-(carboxyethyl)-5-(and-6)-carboxyfluorescein)
CAS Number: 117464-70-7
Excitation: 500/450 nm (hi/low pH)
Emission: 531 nm
Solubility: DMSO (AM form), H2O (salt form)
Molecular weight: 821 g/mol (AM form), 520 g/mol (salt form)
Figure 7.5 BCECF
Generic loading protocol:
1. Prepare cells in suspension
2. Dilute a1 mM aliquot of AM ester stock solution 100-500 fold into a physiological saline buffer (HBSS for example). It is recommended to use the minimum concentration of AM ester necessary to obtain an adequate signal (0.1 μM may be sufficient). The loading medium needs to be free of amino acids or buffers containing amines, to ensure there is no interference with hydrolosis of AM esters.
3. Add one-one volumes of aqueous AM ester dispersion and cell suspension. Incubate for 15–60 minutes at 4°C to 37°C.
4. Wash the cells with fresh culture medium 1-3 times.
Kolber, M.A., et al. J. Immunol. Meth. 108, 255(1988); Carpenter, L., et al. Biochem. J. 304, 751(1994)
Weiner, I.D., et al. 1989. Am. J. Physiol. 256: F957-F964. PMID: 2719125
Miyata, H., et al. 1989. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 163: 500-505. PMID: 2775282
Hayashi, H., et al. 1992. Am. J. Physiol. 262: C628-C634. PMID: 1550207
Sasaki, S., et al. 1992. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1137: 45-51. PMID: 1327152
Futsaether, C.M., et al. 1993. Can. J. Microbiol. 39: 180-186. PMID: 8467419
Seller, J.R. et al. J. Immunol. Meth. 172, 255(1994)